We all love our hair. As women, our hair forms part of our beauty and pride. Whether you keep it short, flowing or whichever way you fancy, hair is a huge part of your identity. It also speaks volumes about the type of woman you are. You do not want your hair to spell you out as a nut job,disheveled, or unkempt.
Luckily for us, there are numerous ways through which we can keep our hair clean, healthy and vibrant without breaking the bank when doing so. This article is an absolute guide to organic ways on how we can keep our hair beautiful, vibrant and healthy at all times.
The absolute guide to organic ways on how to keep your beautiful hair healthy and vibrant all the time
This article will be divided into four broad topics. You can skip to each topic in the above table of contents. The main aim of this guide is to provide purely organic ways to maintain your hair. We shall be discussing only the products that are not toxic and ones that do not have harmful chemical additives that could potentially ruin your beautiful hair. All the links to these products for sale have been carefully research and analyzed.
- Washing and drying your hair
- 1. Do not wash your hair too often
- 2. Use a comb the right way
- READ: The complete guide on how to remove stretchmarks the natural way.
- 3. Use the right hair conditioner
- 4. Go easy on the hair dryer
- Using the right products for your beautiful hair
- Eat the right kind of food
- Great general advice on what to do to keep hair healthy and what to avoid
- 1. Avoid being stressed
- 2. Protect your hair when you sleep at night
- 3. Trim your hair every 6 weeks or so.
- 4. Be careful about the way you tie your hair up
- 5. Wear a cap to protect your hair from harmful UV light
- 6. Avoid smoking, caffeine and fizzy drinks.
- 7. Ensure you have the latest hair tools
- 8. Avoid going to the salon too much
- 9. Make honey a darling
- 10. Give your hair some beer
- 11. Go easy on foreign extensions and hair additions
Washing and drying your hair
This is the very basic way to keep your hair healthy. However, if not done right, washing and drying of hair contributes to numerous hair brittle, breakages and damages to your beautiful hair. How do you ensure that this does not happen?
1. Do not wash your hair too often
Washing your hair too often will result in your hair drying up considerably. This leads to increase in the risk of hair breakages. The recommended period for doing this is two times per week. When you wash, ensure that you do it well. If you have oily hair, wash everyday with shampoo and organic soap nuts (Link)
2. Use a comb the right way
Always remember that wet hair can be easily damaged because it is more elastic at this state. It would be advisable to use a wide tooth comb instead of a brittle brush as the brush will more likely damage the hair compared to the comb.
– How to comb your hair the right way
• Do not comb your hair unnecessarily once it is dry. This will only encourage much breakages
• When combing, start from the end up, not from roots down
3. Use the right hair conditioner
A good hair conditioner is an important element to having good and healthy hair.
How to use hair conditioner the right way
– Application of shampoo
Before you comb or brush your hair, apply conditioner after you have already applied shampoo. Conditioner will moisturize your hair, making it softer and easier to brush or comb.
Trends from latest stylists these days are urging us to apply conditioner before we apply shampoo for that beautiful mane.
Trust your guts on that one.
“Conditioning before you shampoo is great for adding nourishment to fine hair without weighing it down.”
“It also promotes a longer lasting blowdry and primes the hair before cleansing, allowing shampoo to distribute easier and more evenly.”
– Nina Dimachki, artistic director for Kérastase.
– Prevention of the greasy look
To prevent a greasy look, ensure that you apply the conditioner to the ends and mid lengths of your hair.
– Period to keep conditioner on depending on hair type
If you have thin hair, keep the conditioner on for about 2 minutes and if it is thick, you can extend to 3 minutes
– Remove water from your hair
One thing to note is that you need to remove all water from your hair before applying the conditioner
– Use a leave-in conditioner at least once per week
These conditioners are important in that they are able to penetrate into your hair cuticles, healing them and forming room for growth of more hair.
– Use deep conditioning treatment
– Ensure the shampoo you buy is suited for your hair
Hair types are many. There are greasy, colored, fine, dry among others. Ensure that the shampoo you buy is suited for your specific hair type.
4. Go easy on the hair dryer
I know the hair dryer is a perfectly effective tool that every woman should have. However, too much use of the dry out may cause the hair to have split ends and breakages. Use it sparingly.
– How to use the hair dryer the right way
• Ensure that you have applied your heat protection spray or serum– There are other alternatives to heat protection sprays and they work just as right. One of the best natural one is the argan oil. Argan oil is normally applied as a natural heat protectant. If you decide to use this, ensure that you rub it into your hair well before you begin the styling process.
• Do not use too much heat as this may encourage more damages to your beautiful hair
• Use the right hair dryer
Do you still the old, outdated hair dryers? This could be one of the major reasons why your beautiful hair is getting damaged every so often. Invest in a modern ionic hair dryer. This dryer emits charged particles that reduce your drying time by half, minimizing the possibilities of hair damage. The dryer also encourages the hair cuticles to lie flat.
Using the right products for your beautiful hair
Many, beautiful hair products are also a great way to keep our hair healthy and vibrant. In all truth, it is almost impossible to live without these hair and skin care products.
1. Hair mask
Apply a hair mask about two times each month. This mask encourages the hair to be soft and shiny. Ensure that the mask you apply is specifically designed for your hair type.
2. Hair Serums
Serums are also an important element of a healthy and vibrant hair.
How to apply serum
• Apply very small amounts
• Apply to wet hair- this will keep the hair shiny
• Apply the serum to the ends of the hair and mid-lengths but not the roots. Applying to the roots will only lead to the hair being greasy
3. Ultraviolet (UV) Shields
These products are designed to protect your hair from the damaging UV rays. With the increased global warning, this is probably a good idea. Ensure that you apply the product on damp hair.
These shields also prevent the hair from looking as if someone placed it in a pan. Dark hairs remain dark, without the threat of turning red.
4. Heat Protection
You do not want to get burnt or damage your beautiful hair when using a hair dryer
Apply to damp hair. Applying to dry hair is not recommended as the protection will just sit there on top and not provide the adequate protection needed.
5. Go chemical free
Try to avoid products that are heavy with chemical as this will do your beautiful hair more harm than good. Avoid products with too much sulfates, sodium chloride and parabens as these will result into eventual hair damage.
Eat the right kind of food
Foods provide a natural remedy to many of the issues that ail us. If we eat the right kind of foods, we shall have the healthy, vibrant hair we crave, without much effort. The following foods are great in assisting the hair retain its vibrancy.
Salmon contains Omega 3 Fatty acids. Omega 3 assists in the growth of hair shaft.
Samons also contain vitamin D and protein content which is instrumental in keeping the scalp hydrated, allowing for conducive atmosphere for hair growth.
2. Avocado and Pumpkin seed
Avocado and pumpkin seed also contain a high level of protein and vitamin D that is really beneficial to your hair
Oysters have a very high zinc content. When you have too little of zinc in your body, you are likely to develop dry scalps, itchiness and dandruffs. Eating oysters takes good care of that.
Walnuts have a high Omega 3 content as well
They are also rich in biotin and vitamin C. Biotin is the water-soluble version of the vitamin B family. Biotin assists in the conversion of nutrients into energy and in the improvement of the health of your hair, skins and nails. Walnuts also contain Copper which protects and enhances the hair’s natural shine and coloring.
Eggs are VERY rich in proteins, Zinc, Selenium, Sulfur and Iron. Iron allows for smooth transportation of oxygen to the hair follicles as well as assisting in the prevention of anaemia.
6. Eat Blueberries and Raspberries
These fruits are rich in vitamin C which stimulates the growth of a healthy scalp and hair follicles. If hair lacks vitamin C, it becomes brittle and breaks easily.
7. Eat Greek Yogurt
Natural yogurt is rich in protein, vitamin B5 and vitamin D which is linked to the growth of healthy hair follicles. Other sources include Low fat cheese, skim milk and cottage cheese.
8. Eat poultry and Turkey meat
Poultry meat is rich in protein, Zinc, Iron and Vitamin B. You can also find the same in Pork Chops, Oily fish, veal and lean beef.
Spinach is a super food which contains beta carotene, vitamin C and Iron which contributes to the growth of shiny hair by allowing for oil production on the scalp and encouraging growth of follicles. Other vegetables include kales, broccoli.
10. Eat Sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are rich in beta carotene, which contributes to the production of vitamin A. Vitamin A then stimulates the protection of scalp and oil production, leading to removal of dandruff and itchiness of the scalp.
Great general advice on what to do to keep hair healthy and what to avoid
Now you know how to take care of your hair. Great! Before you go, allow us to give you some general advice and tips that could go a long way in keeping your beautiful hair healthy and as awesome as you want it.
1. Avoid being stressed
When you get stressed, your body undergoes a chemical reaction that affects your health in a negative manner. As a result of stress, the hair becomes thinner and eventually falls out, making you look like a nut case. Avoid these stressful situations and consult your doctor occasionally.
2. Protect your hair when you sleep at night
Cotton pillows dry out you hair. Avoid them. Sleep on satin sheets or wear a satin cap. Ensure that you do not tie your hair in a ponytail as this might result in breakages.
3. Trim your hair every 6 weeks or so.
This is designed to remove and take care of split ends.
4. Be careful about the way you tie your hair up
- Do not pull the hair when wet. It is more likely to break then.
- Always let your hair loose when you go to sleep
- Avoid tying your hair using metal bands
- Avoid tying your hair too tightly as this will lead to breakages, particularly when dry.
5. Wear a cap to protect your hair from harmful UV light
A cap also covers greasy roots between your washes.
6. Avoid smoking, caffeine and fizzy drinks.
Smoke contains toxins which can damage hormones and follicles, accelerating hair loss and damages.
7. Ensure you have the latest hair tools
Maybe much of your hair is being lost in that old dryer? It’s time to upgrade to better tools that have been designed to give less stress whilst keeping your hair protected. Try the TURBO IONIC DRYER that dries hair twice as first and with added security features.
8. Avoid going to the salon too much
Well, unless you are going there to catch the latest gossip, too much salon on your beautiful will take the beauty out of it. The hair will get worn down and start becoming damaged. If you really have to go there (Nature of your job, journalist maybe?), then do not forget to apply leave in conditioners such as GARNIER FRUCTIS SLEEK & SHINE INTENSELY SMOOTHING LEAVE-IN CREAM as it offers perfect protection against breakages from too much fussing with the hair.
9. Make honey a darling
Honey repairs damaged hair and prevents a lot of hair loss. Just apply about 2 drops of this natural honey into your shampoo or conditioner then proceed with cleaning your hair.
10. Give your hair some beer
Yes, beer. The beer treatment is designed to create that sparkle and shine that makes the hair look beautiful. You can put the beer in a spray bottle and spray lightly on a towel containing shampoo.
11. Go easy on foreign extensions and hair additions
You want to have a specific perfect look that can only be attained through hair extensions? Go for it girl. However, ensure that you always treat these additions using a product such as Garnier Damage eraser butter. It takes care of the possibility of toxins and enables these additions to have a healthy, natural feel.
There are numerous ways to take care of hair as you have seen. The major factor is the type of hair you have and that’s what determines the kind of care you give to the hair. We will be conducting more research on how to specifically take care of each different hair type (dry, colored, curly etc) so stay tuned.
We are also working on a program that is able to offer you a specific hair treatment plan depending on your hair type. This will be an amazing program and it will be offered completely FREE.